Monday, February 28, 2022

Moving Forward

 I was out in public for the first time in two years last night. Except for hurried, masked grocery and/or Target runs or a very rare outdoor meal, this was a first. It was a play performed in a very large, well-ventilated venue. Everyone in the audience, without exception, was masked. It was exhilarating and exhausting. When I got home, I felt as if I had been hit by a truck. I saw many, many old friends, which was wonderful. Everyone was so glad to connect. Truthfully, it felt odd. Strange. It was a combination of joy and fear.

It has been so hard to stay positive for the last two years. Two years. It seemed so much easier to huddle down and cover your head (metaphorically, and sometimes literally). I understand people wanted to have their FREEDOM, but we were trying to protect each other and ourselves. I feel what they gained most often by not masking and vaccinating, was the FREEDOM to get sick and pass it on to others. I’ll never understand it. But I digress.

Trying now to cautiously Move Forward. It’s tempting to stay in the comfort zone, not take any chances. Just dipped a toe. Frightening but necessary to try to get outside life back. Like trying to walk a tightrope for the first time. Trying to move forward. Trying for joy. Joy beats fear, right?

                                  Moving Forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment