Wednesday, February 9, 2022

FAVORITE BOOK OF 2021

This has been another good year for reading. As usual, more books were read or listened to on tape than I reviewed, but the ones below made the cut. I decided a while ago that I was not going to disparage another author’s work. If I don’t like it, I won’t review it. Although I didn’t love The Book of Two Ways, it had many qualities I found fascinating. I mostly enjoyed everything on the list. I always love Olive and her unique perspective. I loved the questions we were forced to consider in The Midnight Library and Peace Like a River.

 

January 2021: The Book of Lost Friends-Lisa Wingate

February 2021: Troubled Blood- Robert Galbraith

March 2021: The Sentence is Death- Anthony Horowitz

                     A Rule Against Murder- Louise Penny

                     The Ruin- Dervla McTiernan

April 2021: Olive, Again- Elizabeth Strout

May 2021: The Forgotten Garden- Kate Morton

June 2021: The Vanishing Half- Brit Marling

July 2021: The Midnight Library- Matt Haig

August 2021: Peace Like a River- Leif Enger

                      Anxious People- Fredrik Backman                      

September 2021: The Book of Two Ways- Jodi Picoult

                           Hamnet- Maggie O’Farrell

October 2021: The Story of Arthur Truluv-Elizabeth Berg

                       The Searcher- Tana French

November 2021: The Lincoln Highway- Amor Towles 

 December 2021: The Gift of Time- Jerry Merritt

 

The mystery genre is typically a favorite and I found a new author to follow with Dervla McTiernan. I also really enjoyed The Midnight Library by Matt Haig. Some may feel the outcome was predictable but I loved the premise and the existential question. Still, if I could only pick one to recommend to a friend, it would have to be Hamnet by Maggie O’Farrell. Exquisitely written, it captured and created an imaginary world that may or may not have been Shakespeare’s reality.



 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment