Sunday, January 17, 2021

FAVORITE BOOK OF 2020

 

Maybe in spite of  and maybe because of the pandemic, this has been good year for reading. As usual, more books were read or listened to on tape than I reviewed, but the ones below made the cut. I decided a while ago that I was not going to disparage another author’s work. If I don’t like it, I won’t review it. How to choose? I really enjoyed everything on the list. I was fascinated with American Dirt and its revelations about the exodus from Mexico. I love Anthony Horowitz’s masterful mysteries. The Bone Clocks has made me a forever fan of David Mitchell. I loved them all for different reasons.

 January 2020: This Is the Story of a Happy Marriage- Ann Patchett

February 2020: The Word is Murder-Anthony Horowitz

                        And Then There Were None- Agatha Christie  

March 2020: Ordinary Grace- William Kent Krueger

April 2020: American Dirt- Jeanine Cummins

May 2020: The Distant Hours- Kate Morton

June 2020: Whistling Past the Graveyard- Susan Crandall

July 2020: The Giver of Stars- Jo Jo Moyes

August 2020: The Bone Clocks- David Mitchell

September 2020:  The Dutch House- Ann Patchett & Clock Dance-Ann Tyler

October 2020:  Witches, Midwives & Nurses- Barbara Ehrenreich & Deirdre English; City of Girls- Elizabeth Gilbert; Writers & Lovers- Lily King

November 2020:  In Five Years- Rebecca Serle

December 2020: The Witch Elm- Tana French

 

If I could only pick one to recommend to a friend, it would have to be Ordinary Grace by William Kent Krueger. Beautifully written slice of life in a small southern town interwoven with a skillfully rendered mystery. I’m looking forward to reading more by Krueger this year.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment