Sunday, December 18, 2016

THE CHEMIST- DECEMBER 2016 BOOK SELECTION

This month’s book selection is Stephanie Meyer’s second adult fiction novel: The Chemist. I rarely buy hardbacks but I was curious to see how Meyer handles adult fiction. I was also interested to see her subject matter and  if her writing style had changed. I read all four of her hugely successful Twilight series books and enjoyed them. I thought she was still developing as a writer but that her storytelling ability was excellent. Her novels sparked a phenomenon, which is no small thing.

The main character of The Chemist is best described as a female Jason Bourne. The character has many names but the one most used is Alex. I’m giving very little away to say she is a highly-trained employee of a covert agency and is on the run for her life. You learn this information in the first few pages.


This is a hefty book at over five hundred pages and Meyer kept my attention for most of it. Very well-done characterizations make you feel you are meeting the people she has created. I have to say she excels, however, at her rendering of action sequences. They fairly thrum with excitement and heart-pounding situations. Our girl Alex can run with the best of them. A fun read.


No comments:

Post a Comment