Wednesday, October 12, 2016

OCTOBER 2016 BOOK SELECTION- THE LIGHT OF PARIS

This book was a revelation. The bookstores seem full-to-bursting with “Paris” titled books. My preconceived notion was that most were somewhat light and must sell quickly and well, judging by the profusion of them. It’s the “kitsch” of the moment. Kind of like beach reads. Not to judge, because all have their place. My taste just often leads elsewhere.

When I saw this title, The Light of Paris, I passed it over, in spite of it being by Eleanor Brown, the gifted writer of The Weird Sisters. That book had not been a particular favorite, but I had admired her unique storyline and writing style. A few weeks later, a friend recommended TLOP so I decided give it a try and grabbed a copy from the library rather than invest.

I love this book! I love being surprised. The storyline was not completely unique: a woman loses track of herself and struggles to find herself again. Anyway, someone very wise once said, and I paraphrase, there are no truly unique stories, just different characters and different authors. The difference here is, two women take the same journey more than seventy years apart with two different outcomes. I have read several books lately in which the narrative jumps back and forth through time. This is the first one that I feel does it successfully.

The descriptions of Paris are so full and rich you feel as if you are walking its streets, sitting in its cafes, drinking wine and watching its changing light over the rooftops. The Light of Paris is truly lovely and full of unexpected insight about the wisdom of being true to your calling.


Recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment