Friday, August 24, 2012

Media Epiphany


Okay, so I have had a huge realization. My recent return to the stage and the press surrounding it has taught me something. Never has so much been written about so little. Really. The one-act play I am doing is funny, true. It’s entertaining, true. But articles in every publication in town, constant Facebook advertising, a Twitter account and now FRONT PAGE of the newspaper? Are you kidding me? Suddenly we are sold-out. The playwright, Robbie Robertson, who is also our publicist/media guru, is responsible. He is a master of networking and blitzkrieg.

I have heard for a long time from professionals that getting your work out there into the media, using all formats, is important. You are supposed to create your own stir, so to speak. I resisted this for a good long time. I basically ignored it. I thought, “Who would really read all the hype, anyway?” I guess I am a throwback to Jane Austen. I just wanted to write. Not self-promote. Finally, a full year after a good friend said it was imperative, I created this blog. A slow study doesn’t quite cover it.

What this has taught me is, IT WORKS. Duh. However painful and makes me want-to-hide-under-the-bed-embarrassing, IT WORKS. If you create enough stir people will notice. I wish it was a different world. But it’s not. I still love Jane Austen. What on earth would she have done?

For Jane:)

No comments:

Post a Comment