Thursday, May 17, 2012

Anybody Out There?


Multitudes.

I wonder all the time if all the new technology intimidates anyone else. Is it just me? First it was computers. That was a challenge, but I mastered the basics. Sort of. Every time I talked with someone who knew more than I did (which wasn’t hard), I picked their brain and took notes. In pencil. Remember pencil? I still do that every chance I get. By the way, do you notice that young people, I mean the ones that grew up with computers, are annoyed to show you how do things on the computer? As if your ignorance wasn’t enough of a handicap, you are also made to feel dumb about being ignorant. I want to remind them, that even they had to learn to read from someone. We don’t spring from our mother’s loins with technology implanted. Or reading skills.

Then came email. I stuck a tentative toe in the water and then dove. I loved it. Fast, efficient. A way to get in touch with people and correspond. No fuss, no muss.

Apparently it wasn’t fast or efficient enough. Then came (I’m not sure in what order, so don’t sue me) Websites for Everything!, Texting, Twitter, Blogging, Personal Websites, Skype, Smartphones (what does that even mean?), Cloud technology, Nooks, Kindles, iPads, and on and on and on. I’m sure I’m behind on even naming them.

The point is, I feel as if I have to be a magician to even keep up. But I’m trying. Lord knows. I’m not sure, however, with all of this corresponding and sharing of information… if people are still talking. How’s the art of conversation faring  with the How r u’s and LOL’s? How about handwritten letters? I used to love getting letters. Even a greeting card makes me happy. In the mail. Oh sure, I love to get them via email, but there is something about holding them in your hand. Books, too. I don’t want to be a dinosaur about it but it’s true, there are things to miss. Some traditions worth hanging onto.

Still I’m embracing the change as best I can. Come on…. What’s next? Bring it on.



1 comment:

  1. I love handwritten notes, that is why I do the postcard project...it is so fun to find something in the mail besides junk. I love my smartphone, my computer and my Kindle however I do enjoy an honest to goodness conversation and having a real book in my hands!

    ReplyDelete