Monday, November 29, 2021

An Embarrassment of Riches

 As I have shopped for my family for this first Christmas together in two years, I realize there is an embarrassment of riches. Not just physical things, but the riches of family. We just don’t need the physical stuff. I’m wishing with all of my heart not to add to the “stuff” that I have tried so hard to purge. I have failed miserably. One purged drawer. That’s it.  I’m still a work in progress. So here’s what’s important:

 “There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open.”

— Martha Graham

 I think she was talking about the expression of your art but it holds true for all human interaction. What fills my heart with joy is the prospect of being together, of talking, sharing, having meals, playing games, singing, being…. The interaction and expression of all of our disparate personalities, blending in a magical way.  All the things we have missed with sore hearts.


The same Everywhere.


No comments:

Post a Comment