Wednesday, October 23, 2019

A Week at the Beach with Friends


Friend is a multifaceted word. I have a number of friends. Some are people I really like and wish I could see more of. Some are acquaintances whom I enjoy being with but never seek more time with. There are people I met later in life with whom I am very close and see frequently. Then there are those I have a lifetime history with.

Recently, I had the chance to spend a whole week with two women I have a lifetime history with. This happens so rarely because we literally live in three different parts of the country.

So what makes a lifetime friend? There are several people I have known just as long in years. I have affection for all of them but the bond with these two remains unique. It has to do with immediate comfort. It has to do with feeling safe. Shared history, yes but more than that, a shared sensibility. It has to do with sharing secrets, knowing old secrets, being who you are with no judgement. It has to do with picking up exactly where you left off. Instantly.

How is this possible? I really don’t know. If I am guessing, we have all experienced this with maybe a handful of people in our lives. I remember my incredibly wise mother saying, “If you can count true friends on the fingers of one hand, you are lucky.”

It’s a mystery and a gift and I am grateful.

I




No comments:

Post a Comment