Tuesday, September 24, 2019

SOUTHERNMOST- SEPTEMBER BOOK SELECTION


Every once in a while a book comes along that takes you with it; that absorbs you. Everything about Silas House’s novel, Southernmost, was that book for me. The last time I was that entranced by a book was when I read Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese. It’s hard to define what makes a novel special for each individual. Sometimes it is the story, but often for me what immediately grabs me is the writing. Not only is this story fully original but House is a master craftsman.

Asher Sharp is a fundamentalist preacher in Appalachia. He has been sure of his beliefs all his life; even to the point of rejecting his gay brother at the insistence of his mother. During a catastrophic flood which destroys many homes and takes many lives in his town, he experiences an epiphany. It is this realization and its aftermath that completely alters his life and that of his son.

Because of this heart-change, he feels forced to make a decision that will transform the world he knows. As a result, he meets people and sees places that enrich him in ways he could not have foreseen.

If someone described this book to me to me, I’m not sure I would have been interested. Fortunately, it was once again a book club pick.

Don’t miss it.



No comments:

Post a Comment