Tuesday, April 16, 2019

The Beauty of Small Things


I think this may be the name of a book or something. Not my original idea.  Nevertheless, I love the sentiment, literally and figuratively.

I love tiny flowers that sprout unexpectedly from sidewalk cracks, bare ground or a field of weeds. I love small birds (well, I love all birds), chickadees, hummingbirds, finches, picking their tiny way through this massive world. I love the sound of bees, crickets sawing on a summer night, wind in the grass, leaves rippling. I love the feel of sun on chilled skin, the smell of a child’s neck. I love the events, actions that we think of as small, laughing at something funny, the scents of spring, an arm around a friend’s shoulder. Small things, everyday things.

I saw a video recently that reminded me how unimportant small annoyances are. How it’s important to remember what you actually have to be happy about. It sounds somewhat holier-than-thou, but it’s true. The beauty of small things is really the Big Picture so to speak.

So I promised to report back on my progress. I’m still struggling with the email and social media thing. I’m deeply aware, so that’s something. Also, I have dipped a toe in a short story. It’s progress. A small thing. Slow. But progress.



No comments:

Post a Comment