Friday, January 11, 2019

FAVORITE BOOK OF 2018


I made my first choice for favorite Book of the Year in August three years ago. So for consistency, my year ran from August to July. This has been a bit problematical so I’m going to finish out this year through December. The only problem will be what to choose!!!

August 2017:  CommonwealthAnn Patchett
September 2017:  June Bug Versus Hurricane- Erin Chandler
October 2017:  Anne of Green Gables- Lucy Maud Montgomery
November 2017:  Still Life- Louise Penny and Magpie Murders-Anthony Horowitz
December 2017: The Beekeeper's Apprentice, or On the Segregation of the   
                          Queen- Laurie R. King
January 2018:  My Antonia- Willa Cather
February 2018:  The Forgetting Time- Sharon Guskin
March 2018:  The Member of the WeddingCarson McCullers
April 2018: Midnight at the Bright Ideas Bookstore: A Novel- Matthew Sullivan
May 2018: The Cukoo’s Calling- Robert Galbraith
June 2018:  The Good House- Ann Leary
July 2018: Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine- Gail Honeyman
August 2018:  A Gentleman in MoscowAmor Towles
September 2018:  His Dark Materials- Phillip Pullman
October 2018:  News of the World- Paulette Jiles
November 2018:  Something in the Water- Catherine Steadman
December 2018: Educated: A Memoir- Tara Westover


This has been another good year for reading. As usual, more books were read or listened to on tape than I reviewed, but the ones above made the cut. I decided a while ago that I was not going to disparage another author’s work. If I don’t like it, I won’t review it. How to choose? I really enjoyed everything on the list. I have to pick two. I loved them for completely different reasons.

First is The Cukoo’s Calling by Robert Galbraith, aka J. K. Rowling. I listened to this on Audible. I loved it because I love a well-told mystery and the writing was splendid. Second is A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles. This book was a total surprise and took a while to get into, but was well-worth it. Unique and transporting with brilliant writing.

 






No comments:

Post a Comment