Saturday, August 25, 2018

Book Club!


I have not been in a book club for twenty years. I’ve heard of friends being part of a club but all were closed with more than enough members. My best friend doesn’t read anything but the news on her iPad or political diatribes on FaceBook, so no help there. My husband loves to read but our taste in books is quite dissimilar. Dilemma. 

I love to read. Almost everything. That should be enough but I often also love to discuss books I have just read. It’s nice to hear differing points of view; to discover things I missed. So quite out of the blue, while on a neighborhood information page, I noticed a woman who, having just moved to town, was interested in starting a book club. I contacted her along with about fifty other people! Obviously there is a need here.

As luck would have it, I was out of town for the first meeting. Disappointing, but I read the first book anyway. For the third meeting, I was able to get a hold of the book, and read A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles (See my Book Blog earlier this month). I had never heard of the book or the author and as I related in my blog, probably would not have picked it up; and if I had, not finish it. I’m so glad I did. A wonderful book and another reason to join a book club. Discovery.

I made it to my first meeting last week through a torrential rainstorm (really). I felt a little behind but was relieved to meet two other first-timers. It was fun. I enjoyed it immensely. New, interesting friends, discovering new books. Two of life’s pleasures.



No comments:

Post a Comment