Sunday, June 18, 2017

SHINRIN-YOKU -THE HEALING TREES

The Japanese culture has embraced some enchanting ideas. My latest discovery is the term Shinrin-Yoku. Literally translated, it means “Forest bathing.” The idea is to expose oneself to trees, to nature, for the purpose of healing. Imagine that as a prescription from a western physician. Well, maybe a doctor of Alternative medicine. Otherwise? I don’t think so. This is not a criticism. It’s that our culture is growing but has not yet embraced all ideas as more ancient ones. Makes sense, when you think about it. They have had centuries to get some things right.

Stay with me, here. Who of you has not experienced the quiet of a park, or a forest, or the mesmerizing calm of the ocean? Well, as it turns out, I’m behind the times. When I googled Shinrin-Yoku, it turns out there is an Association of Nature and Forest Therapy which promotes and uses Shinrin-Yoku. It has hundreds of guides here in the U.S. alone. I stand corrected.

The benefits have researchers amazed. It lowers blood pressure, reduces stress, increases concentration and mental clarity. It also increases the number of cancer fighting cells in the body. Just wow.

Years ago, when my children were little, and my stress level got high, I would go outside and sit on the back porch. We lived in a forested area so it was perfect. My fifteen minutes of “porch-time” never failed to calm me. My porch-time was Shinrin-Yoku. Who knew?

Leave your cell phone at home.


No comments:

Post a Comment