Monday, May 22, 2017

Tsundoku

I am curiously relieved. It turns out there is actually a Japanese name for what I am. A name for one of my idiosyncrasies, anyway. I was just commenting to my husband the other day that I am not safe in a bookstore. I seem to be unable to leave without at least one purchase. Usually more than one. My bookcases are overflowing, my bookshelves likewise. My bedside table, forget about it. I also make frequent trips to the library for books-on-tape as well as any title that catches my eye. So here’s the thing. I’ll never read them all. I’m just not that speedy a reader. Somehow, that is a non-issue. Go figure.

For me, reading is not only important, it’s an integral part of life. Not as important as say, spending time with family or looking at the ocean, but right up there.  One of my favorite childhood memories was going with my mother to a little bookstore called The Cigar Store. I guess they sold cigars, I don’t know, but I do know they sold lots and lots of magazines and lots and lots of books. Browsing there was bliss.

Happy Reading!

The article from the Huffington Post is here:

The Old Butcher’s Bookshop, Paris.
Re-pinned by http://sunnydaypublishing.com/books

No comments:

Post a Comment