Saturday, April 15, 2017

A GOD IN RUINS- APRIL 2017 BOOK SELECTION

A God in Ruins by Kate Atkinson was written as a companion piece to her novel, Life After Life. Atkinson won the coveted Costa prize for it as well as for Life After Life and also for Behind the Scenes at the Museum. This is a rare and unprecedented accomplishment.  I have been a fan of Atkinson since reading Behind the Scenes and her novels never disappoint.

A God in Ruins is told as the life story of Teddy, (brother of Ursula in Life after Life). The setting is during and after WWII. The story begins with Teddy as a child and ends with his death. Perhaps. He is a RAF pilot during the London blitz and the strategic bombing of Germany. The number of deaths of these boy-pilots (and they were boys) will astonish you. They were often sitting ducks for German counter attacks and they knew it. You meet not only Teddy but his bomber crews, his family, his friends, his wife, his lovers and his pets. You become deeply invested in the outcome of each life. Once again as has often been the theme of my recent reading, it explores the choices made and the paths taken and not taken.

My taste in literature rarely centers around war and certainly never RAF bombers. However, I trusted Atkinson to deliver. She tells the story forwards, backwards, present and past and often you know what is going to happen before reading about the event itself. How can this work? I have no idea, but it does. Each event threads its way through the narrative in a non-linear way…but there are no loose ends. Perhaps because I often live life in a linear way, I found this extremely satisfying.

I have yet to read Life After Life, but after this, I can’t wait.

Stellar.


No comments:

Post a Comment