Sunday, March 12, 2017

THE GOLDFINCH- MARCH 2017 BOOK SELECTION

I just finished The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt. I initially picked it up at the library as a book on tape but quickly realized I wanted to read it as well. So for the first time, I read and listened to a novel at the same time. I have to say, I enjoyed every minute. Listening to the very accomplished actor on tape give each character a unique personality was simply a bonus. It also highlighted the beauty of the language.

This novel, a winner of the Pulitzer Prize, is a masterpiece. I do not say that lightly. I was absorbed from beginning to end. The story begins with a catastrophic event which alters forever the life of the main character, Theodore Decker. A random choice made by his mother and his life changes course.

The book explores many themes, one of which is the random (or are they) nature of life changing events. But it also explores the complexity of relationships, coming of age, the nature of man and the role of beauty in life. This is done with breathtaking skill and finesse. These are big themes and there are no Pollyanna punches pulled here. Nothing is wrapped up in a tidy bow. Goldfinch sometimes is difficult, sad, and occasionally gruesome. Theo is so damaged and goes down so many wrong paths you are horrified and yet still yearn for his redemption.

I have to say also that one of the most enjoyable aspects of Goldfinch was the creation by Tartt of one of the finest characters I have seen in recent literature, Theo’s best friend, Boris. He is on a superlative par with Lisbeth Salander from The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. The anti-hero. Wrong in so many ways, but still with a spark of human grace. He reminds us that no one is ever just one thing.


Off the scale.


No comments:

Post a Comment