Monday, October 12, 2015

OCTOBER 2015 BOOK SELECTION- SHINE SHINE SHINE

This month’s book selection: Shine Shine Shine features one of the most distinctive voices in fiction I have ever encountered. Lydia Netzer has created characters and a story so quirky and unique I was intrigued from beginning to end.

While browsing at a table full of books at a conference, I came across this author’s work by chance. I had never heard of her or the book. It speaks well of browsing book stores and/or the library (one of the great pleasures of my life) and not just shopping for what Amazon or some other site is attempting to sell you. I love Amazon, too, but nothing quite beats the tactile experience of perusing a book. But, I digress.

This is not quite a love story, but it is. It’s not quite a character study but each character literally emerges off the page fully realized. It’s not quite an adventure story but it’s full of adventure and risk taking. For example, one character tells us his story as he rockets to the moon.

By the time you finish this novel you will wish you knew these characters and almost feel as if you do. Highly recommend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment