Monday, June 29, 2015

The Power of Storytelling

Every time we open a book, a newspaper, a reading device... or turn on television, a computer or phone, we are exposed to stories. Whether it’s news or literature, fiction, non-fiction, sit-com or reality show, Facebook or Instagram or any other configuration, we are constantly processing information. We are bombarded, really.

Somehow, often we receive information even though we don’t consciously read or pursue it. It just filters in. I’m thinking recently about the young boy who helped his brother bomb the Boston Marathon. I “know” without reading or actively pursuing the story, that he has been sentenced to death and that he apologized for his actions…. That he was sorry. How do I know this? I honestly have no idea. I just have the information.

I say this because I realize how vulnerable we are to this information influx. It’s wonderful when you want it…. But when you don’t? Scientists say that the human brain is constantly seeking information… and I have to say I think this is true when observing everyone with their heads constantly buried in their hand-held devices.

What also seems evident to me is the need to set up some parameters for oneself. I really DON’T EVEN WANT TO KNOW who the Kardashians are, or the housewives of NYC, LA, Atlanta, etc. but I do! How do I? I don’t know, and that is disturbing on so many levels. LOL! So how do you set up your own filter?

I came across the idea of Stillness from an interview with Pico Iyer I intentionally watched. I think the idea is to set aside all the accoutrement of our lives, if even for a few minutes a day. Shut it out. Be still. Be. Recognize your separateness. I guess it’s as simple as being responsible for the storytelling you do and for the storytelling you allow in. 

Every grain of sand is separate.

.





No comments:

Post a Comment