Tuesday, April 28, 2015

APRIL 2015 BOOK SELECTION- SEQUELS

This month was for Book Two sequels of two well-known Young Adult (YA) trilogies. The first read was Insurgent which is the follow-up to blockbuster, made-into a-movie Divergent by Veronica Roth. 

I think it’s difficult to write a follow-up novel, especially if your first one is so well received. I would imagine it’s a lot of pressure for the author. The most enjoyable part of Insurgent was being able to continue to follow characters I was familiar with from the first book. I wanted them to succeed against the Dystopian “big brother.” Truthfully, I found the sequel a bit meandering and vague. This was probably due to what I perceived as strange phrasing and sentence structure. Still, it held my attention to the end. The film sequel was released at the same time with all the digital-other-worldly enhancements that offers. Not an amazing read but I will probably read the third book of the trilogy to find out how the characters end up. That’s saying something.


The second read was Crossed, book two of the trilogy beginning with Matched by Ally Condie. 

Such a well-written book. I enjoyed the first and was equally impressed with Crossed. It is not only well-written, but has quite beautiful language and adventure that does not disappoint. It examines human nature without proselytizing. It is timely in that it examines the philosophy of revolution without being heavy-handed. I couldn’t put this one down. This is YA Dystopian at its best in my opinion. I’m looking forward to Reached, the third book in the series. Not just for young adults. If you only choose one trilogy, this is it.


No comments:

Post a Comment