Tuesday, September 30, 2014

September Book Selections

This month I’ve listened to one book on tape and read another. 

My book on tape was Caleb’s Crossing by Geraldine Brooks. It tells a fictional story based on fact about the Native Americans and the settlers that first lived on what is now Martha’s Vineyard. I have read one other book by this author called, Year of Wonders. It tells the story of one village’s handling of the Plague. Okay, who wants to read about the Plague? But it was amazing. I would have never picked it up on my own had it not been my book club’s selection. Unfortunately I moved and no longer have a book club to make those kinds of choices. Geraldine Brooks has also won the Pulitzer Prize for her 2006 novel, March. Don’t you love it when one novel leads to another by the same author? Something to look forward to.


My reading choice was Kevin Kwan’s Crazy Rich Asians. After last month’s selection, I needed something light and easy. This fit perfectly. It tells the story of a whole culture of very, very VERY, beyond your imaginings, rich people. The tone is light and funny  and the read is fast. I’ve enjoyed learning a bit, in a superficial way, about the Singaporean and the Chinese culture. 

No comments:

Post a Comment